14 June 2010

Tour de Rock 2010

So the day started out great! The ride began at 7:00, and we had to get there for around 5:30 because they were doing a broadcast from the starting line.

I made it to the first rest top about 7:50, but I had left Scott behind somewhere, so I waited until he met me at the rest stop. Apparently, he had gotten a flat somehow and didn't know if it was something that popped the tire or was just a leak. He was able to get his tire pumped and it was going strong, so we headed onward.

We got a horrible headwind, and what had been about 15-17mph was more like 10-11mph. It was definitely hard work getting to the next rest stop, but we made it. At mile 27, the rest stop was there with more water, pickles, bananas, oranges, etc. to keep us going.

We headed out from there for the third rest stop, which was about 16 miles away. At about mile 38, Scott got horrible cramps, and we kept having to stop for him to work them out. It was incredibly hot and the route had little shade from the point of the second rest stop to the third, so we just had to wait it out. I ran out of water about 8 or 9 miles away from the next rest stop, so when we finally made it there, we breathed several sighs of relief and took a long rest so Scott could work out his cramps and I could get hydrated.

We headed onto the Fourth (and final) rest stop, which was about 12 miles away. After about 2 miles, the cramps hit Scott again, so we had to stop again. Once we got underway again, my head was beginning to hurt, but I thought that I would just push through it and keep going. I only made it about 3 more miles before my head was hurting so bad, that I couldn't move it.

At that point, mile 50, Scott said, "Nope! We're not going to do it. There's no way that you can make it 8 more miles with (almost) no water left and your head hurting that bad. I'm calling in the reinforcements to come get us." They did (and I'm so glad!) I totally could not have made it further with the way I was feeling and little water. (I went through nearly 48 oz in 5 miles!) It was also a heat index of 107 degrees! It was hottt!!!

Anyway, I'm disappointed that I didn't get to cross the finish line, but I'd rather that than crossing it and then collapsing (as another rider did). Anyway, there's always next year, and how many people can say that they rode 50 miles on a bike in 107 degree heat?

All in all, it was a good ride, and I'm glad that I had the opportunity to do it, but I do have to admit that I've never been more happy to take a shower than after that ride!

No comments: