01 June 2010

Memphis Adventures and More

Let me start this by saying that I absolutely LOOOOVE 3-day weekends. That being said, I can now begin discussing said weekend.

So, my friend Mandy from LSU got married this weekend. She and I were on the retreat team together at Christ the King at LSU, which is where she met her now-husband.

Anyway, I went over to Collierville (yet another weekend in Tennessee. Maybe God is trying to tell me something. hmm...) We headed out early on Saturday so that we could make it to the hotel and get changed and not smell from traveling at the wedding, which started at 2:00pm. I've gotta say, I hate GoogleMaps. They screwed up the directions from the hotel and we got to the wedding late (although the hotel was honestly 200 feet from the church) but before the lovely bride walked up the aisle.

The wedding mass was lovely and the bride gorgeous (as I knew she would be). The bride and groom just looked absolutely rapturously happy. It was a very interesting and eclectic mix of people at both the ceremony and the reception, as Mandy is cajun, Gerardo is from Honduras, and the wedding was held in Tennessee being officiated by a priest from Vietnam.

As Mandy's heritage is cajun, there were masquerade masks and mardi gras beads passed out to the guests as we walked into the party. It was super cute! The wedding party did the second line as they walked in wearing their masquerade masks. It was lovely, and there was some excellent food, too! Fried fish, grits and shrimp, salad, and BBQ. (Eclectic to match the couple and the guests!)
We had a great time. My friend, Kimberly, and I were happy to see each other again, as it had been 4 years (YIKES!) since we had been together at LSU. After the wedding, Scott, Kimberly, and I all went to Memphis, where we ate at Rendevous:


and had the obligatory Diver Down at Silky O'Sullivan's on Beale Street:



We also had an interesting weekend with signs. There was several that were interesting, several of which I did not get pictures. I did, however, get the picture of a giant rooster car while stopped in West Memphis, AR, and I just could not pass up the opportunity to get that picture!



We went to Riverfest with the bride and groom to-be this up-coming weekend when we got back from mass Sunday and stayed there until it ended. We got a chance to get out to the Flying Saucer after that so we could let the crowds dissipate, and then went on a scavenger hunt for a place to eat. (We went to 2 IHOPs, 1 Waffle House, and a Denny's before we found a place that we could be served BEFORE 5am.) It was crazy! Seriously, the 24-hour restaurants had planned poorly for a night when everyone would try to eat after Riverfest, the day before Memorial Day! We FINALLY ate and got home around 3am.

Memorial Day went by way too quickly! I slept in (for the first time in a very long time) and then went to Scott's sister's house, where we BBQ'd and watched a movie and enjoyed the day with the family. Last night, we watched Father of the Bride, an oldie but goodie, and then I went home and slept until work today. I tell you, my weekend would have been A LOT better had I not had to return to work today, but that's another story.

Got a rehearsal/wedding this weekend and there endeth the crazy wedding/shower/bachelorette/etc. weekends. We've got to simultaneously train for the Tour de Rock 2010 the weekend following this one. We'll see how that one goes. 62 miles...YIKES!



In honour of our fallen men and women, whom we have honoured yesterday, on Memorial Day:

Eternal rest grant unto them, Oh, Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May their souls and all the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen

God bless the men and women who serve in our armed forces! They sacrifice the most for our freedom.

No comments: